Pedro Catarino, MD
Smidt Heart Institute
127 S San Vicente Blvd #A3600
Los Angeles, CA
Pedro Catarino, MD
Pedro Catarino MD, FRCS, is a recognized leader in the field of aortic surgery and heart lung transplantation. He specializes in advanced techniques and outcomes for aortic surgery. He has particularly developed the clinical use for transplantation of donor organs from donation after circulatory death, for both heart and lungs. He is expert in machine perfusion of these organs and his research addresses the modes of perfusion, perfusate composition and adjuncts to best re-animate, recover and preserve the heart and lungs for transplantation. In June 2019 he performed the World's first successful DCD Heart-Lung transplant. He graduated from Oxford University Medical School in England and trained at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London and at Duke in North Carolina. He came to Cedars from Royal Papworth Hospital and Cambridge University where he was Director of Transplantation.
- Medical School: Oxford University Medical School (Christ Church), 1994
- Master of Arts: University of Cambridge (Churchill College), 1995
- Residency: Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1999
- Residency: John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, 2001
- Fellowship: Duke University Medical Center, 2008
- Residency: Royal Brompton Hospital, 2009
Awards & Activities
- Philips Innovation Award , 2020
- Chair of the UK National DCD Heart Retrieval Service , 2019 - 2020
- National Health Service Cardiothoracic Advisory Group , 2017 - 2020
- British Transplant Society Council Member , 2015 - 2020
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery Ionsecu Fellow , 2015 - 2016
- Heart-Lung Transplantation. Catarino P, Tsui S. In: Oniscu G, Forsythe J, Pomfret E, eds. Transplantation Surgery. Berlin, Springer. 2019. pp 83-102.
- Donation after Circulatory Death. Catarino P. In: Barac Y, Silvestry S, Goldstein D, Daneshmand M, eds. Textbook of Transplantation and Mechanical Support for End stage Heart and Lung Disease. New Jersey, Wiley Inc. 2020.
English / French / Portuguese